Internal linking of the site is the linking of all sections of the resource by means of links placed on its pages.
Internal linking tasks
A well-thought-out combination of resource pages with links solves a number of important tasks for its successful promotion in the search and real impact on behavioral factors.
The footnotes placed in the text serve as connecting elements between the sections of the resource. When viewing a specific page, text (anchor) links push the user to perform an additional action - go to the next page, in order to get additional information.
Issues solved by internal linking of the site pages:
• Fast indexing of web pages by search engines.
The robot of the search engine when scanning to a separate page to find links to other sections, and scan them. Thus, in a short time, a larger number of web pages will get into the index (database) of search engines.
• Improve the usability of the site.
The result of the implementation of the linking pages of the project is to improve behavioral factors. Users who click on internal links spend more time on the website and view more web pages.
In addition, the level of nesting of pages is reduced - this is the minimum number of clicks that the user needs to make in order to get from the main page to the desired one.
• Increase the weight of each web page.
The more internal footnotes are placed in the text of the pages, the more each of them has more weight in the "eyes" of search engine robots (however, you cannot overdo it - no more than ten hyperlinks per page).
• Successful search engine promotion of the site for low-frequency queries.
By correctly combining the sections of the website for important keywords, you can achieve positive results in their promotion for medium and low-frequency search queries. This is especially true for "young" projects.
Types of site linking
They use different types of linking sections of a web site, each of which has its own advantages and disadvantages. The preferred one is when all the options are used. In this case, the maximum effect of the procedure is achieved. However, you should follow the rule: only materials that are similar in subject matter are combined.
In this version, the links are placed in the text of the page. This is the most high-quality and effective way to link sections together, since footnotes fit harmoniously into the text content. This is the most positive influence on behavioral factors. For maximum efficiency, hyperlinks should be distributed evenly throughout the text, avoiding their accumulation in one part.
This work is done manually and is quite time-consuming.
It is the presence of a block of links present on several or all web pages. An example is the site menu, which is usually present on every page.
End-to-end links are less efficient than contextual links - they have less transmitting weight.
This view is similar to the previous one. The difference from the end-to-end version is that the links in the block placed on several pages are different for each page.
This can be implemented, for example, by placing the "Additional Materials" block, in which the visitor who has read the article is invited to view other documents on the topic of interest to him.
The efficiency of variable-through linking is lower than contextual linking, but higher than end-to-end linking.
Tips for conducting internal site linking:
• Apply different types of it and its binding schemes. Diversity contributes to a more attentive attitude of search engines to the project.
• Use anchor and non-anchor links.
• Fill the anchor sheet with a large number of keywords, so that there are no anchor glues.
• Try not to place outgoing (back) links to other resources on the promoted web pages. If you can't do without it, then close them from indexing.
• The site structure should be perfectly thought out. This is not only easy navigation, but also the main element of a competent association of all sections. The menu should be text links, not pictures or media buttons.
• Linked pages must be strictly of the same subject.
• Distribute links evenly across the page text. Crowded located footnotes, it has a smaller transmitting weight.
• Do not place an excessively large number of hyperlinks on a single page. Follow the rule - no more than 6 pieces in the text of 3000 characters.
• Do not link from any page two or more times to the same web page. Search engine robots will only take into account the first web link, and the second and subsequent ones will remain "empty".