What is a duplicate page?
Duplicate pages are web pages that have the same content.
In most cases, this statement will be true, since such pages appear due to the inexperience of novice webmasters or due to mistakes made by already experienced specialists. For example, if when creating a website, a web-specialist pays little attention to the work of bringing the URLs of the pages to uniformity. The main rule is that the resource must have an "army order".
Common options for duplicating content on the site:
1. Full page duplicates
This option of duplicating content appears on the website, usually due to an oversight and inexperience of the developer. Search engine robots are extremely negative about this situation, so you should pay special attention to it, despite its apparent frivolity.
Features of full duplicate pages:
• the content is completely duplicated by 100%, the HTML-code is repeated entirely;
• they are the most disliked by search engines (search engine filters are set up strictly, the sanctions applied are very heavy, up to the ban of the site, for example, for the identified duplicate of the main page);
• such duplicates are easily detected (it is enough to view the list of indexed sections in Webmaster-Yandex and identify web pages with the same snippet and title);
• they are easily eliminated (in most cases, minimal knowledge is enough).
2. Duplicates of service pages
The double can be complete or partial.
Identification of "service" duplicates:
• the share of the same content is almost one hundred percent;
• the main text is present in its entirety, and web pages differ only in the HTML frame and the absence of the main menu, additional blocks, and footer.
The project developer will easily find such problematic sections and take the necessary measures directly in the process of programming and configuring the content management system (CMS).
Possible places to search for "service" duplicates:
• print version (the most common mistake is not to close this page from indexing, and as a result, two identical pages appear on the web-site);
• unsuccessfully implemented setting of the project design theme (not through the user profile, but with links with GET parameters of the form «?theme=mega_design_3»);
• pages of various information output modes (for example, sorting records by publication date).
To avoid problems associated with duplication, you should prohibit search engine robots from visiting these problem areas on the website.
The first method is to forcibly prohibit indexing of these web pages.
3. Partial page duplicates
This problem is often found on blogging and information resources, as well as online stores. As a rule, this is a duplication of individual text fragments.
Characteristic features of partial duplication:
• it is difficult to detect (when automating all processes, you can often not notice this error);
• interferes with the correct ranking of web-pages (it is possible to use filters with a decrease in the search results).
Negative impact of duplicate pages on the website promotion process
Despite the fact that many webmasters do not pay much attention to the appearance of duplicate pages, this situation can create serious problems with the search promotion of the site.
Search engine robots regard duplicates of web pages as spam, and forcibly change the positions in the search results for the worse, both for these pages and for the resource as a whole.
When a link is unwinding a separate web page, the following situation may occur. In case of an unsuccessful combination of various circumstances, the search engine will evaluate the duplicate as the most relevant page, and the primary source page with a different URL, which is promoted by links, will forcibly "drop" in the search results. In this case, the financial costs and efforts will be in vain.
Methods for detecting duplicate pages on the site:
1. By means of search engines
For this in the search bar of Google or Yandex, you must enter the following command: site:name.ru where name.ru – a domain name. The search engine will display a list of indexed web pages of the site, and your task will be to visually detect possible duplicates.
In addition, you can use the tools Yandex-Webmaster, Google-Webmaster Tools to check the status of indexing web-pages.
2. Search for text fragments
In this case, you need to insert a small piece of text (for example, a large paragraph in its entirety) from a specific page into the search bar. If the search results show two or more positions on different pages of the site being checked, then these are most likely duplicates.
3. With the help of special programs
One of the most common programs for such purposes is Xenu Link Sleuth. It is free and can be easily found on the Internet.