Contextual advertising is a type of advertising on the Internet, in which the advertiser pays for the display of advertising information (usually ads, sometimes with pictures) in search engines or on trust sites with high traffic. The fee is charged for impressions or clicks.
Contextual advertising is shown to a selectively defined audience, whose sphere of interests coincides or intersects (previously, search queries on this topic were made) with the subject of the advertised products or services, which significantly increases the likelihood of a response to the ad.
To determine whether an ad matches a search query, the keyword principle is used, which is used by search engine robots. Therefore, contextual advertising, for example, mobile phones, is shown to those users who search the Internet for information about mobile phones that interests them.
All search engines use contextual advertising to generate revenue. Ads are displayed both on pages with search results (in certain blocks, for example, in Yandex, these are the four top and bottom lines), and on sites that have installed the corresponding scripts (html-codes) on their pages by agreement with search engines for a percentage of profits.
Types of contextual advertising
Depending on the format of the ad, contextual advertising can be:
• text (as an informative element, plain text with a hyperlink is used);
• banner (the main element is a visual image (banner) with a link to the advertised web page);
• video advertising (using a specially prepared video).
How to organize and conduct a contextual advertising campaign?
To organize and conduct a contextual advertising campaign, it is necessary to implement a set of the following measures:
1. Compiling a list of keywords that match the search queries for which ads will be displayed in search engines and on the sites of third-party advertising networks. This can be done using special tools (for example, Yandex-Wordstat).
2. Inventing the names of advertisements (as a rule, they should be short - no more than 80 characters). At the same time, they need to fit as much useful information about the advertised product/service as possible. In addition, you need to prepare the accompanying information and create images. It is necessary that the person is interested in the ad, clicks on it and goes to the advertiser's website.
3. Placing ads in the ad networks (for example, Yandex-Direct, Google-AdWords). You can create any number of ads (up to 100), as long as you have enough time and effort. At the same time, you need to adhere to the following rule: one ad for a group of phrases with one keyword.
4. Data collection and analysis, evaluation of the effectiveness of the advertising campaign. To do this, you need to register the website in Yandex-Metric and Google-Analytics and install on all pages meters (html-codes). Next, make changes to the campaign settings, in order to get the maximum result with minimal financial costs for advertising.
Disadvantages of contextual advertising:
• high price (in terms of per user compared to the search engine promotion of the site);
• strict moderation (strict rules for the design of ads, the inability to use the logo of the site/company as an accompanying image);
• limited communication (for example, in Yandex-Direct and Google-AdWords have restrictions on the size of name ads - no more than 35 characters per line, including spaces and punctuation).